Friday, January 25, 2013

Project Corvo: 04 - The in-game model

I haven't worked so much with the 3D model of the Corvo Attano mask since the last update, but I did stumble on an interesting find a while ago: The real in-game mesh with textures and everything from the video game.

Screenshot of my viewport.
As a fan of games and a guy who's been making fan arts in 3D ever since I learned it. I found this quite joyful to stumble on the real thing from the game. However I was also a bit worried if this model would render my work up to this point necessary, that this original 3D model was just as good for printing as my model, except its original, thus better. What if my model was all wrong and inaccurate? It would make my model obsolete! Slightly concerned I imported the original model into my scene to compare, and behold:

To left: Original in-game model without textures. To right: My current model
My model looked nothing like the original model! And in a good way as you see, because an in-game model follow a different way of rules even though they come from the same software package. The relevant difference in this case is the polygon count. My model as a much denser polygon count which allows my model to contain more details, where the low poly in-game model is restricted by a certain poly count and use textures to make up for that (Which is lovely btw, I couldn't texture like this even if my life depended on it). However my 3D printer does not use textures and relies solely on the shape of the model, so my model is yet again safe from harm!

I even reduced the poly count on my model in this render to make it more viewable.

Having the in-game model would probably be useful in the start, but at this point there wasn't much use for it, except at one point were I had some issues figuring how some certain parts of the inside of the mask looks like. A quick inspection of the in-game model I solved that problem easily! Beside that, you might notice the overall shape is a little bit different from each other. My model is slightly rounder and does not have the long dragged out face. That's because my model is based on the Technical Magic Effects version of the mask, which is slightly wider and wearable. I don't think you would be able to wear it otherwise...

Follow this link if you wish to check out and grab the model of the in-game mask yourself:
http://mrgameboy2013.deviantart.com/art/Dishonored-Corvo-s-mask-HD-331889984
I think I saw some other in-game models from Dishonored there as well. Such as his awesome sword. This will definitely help me in creating a printable model of his sword if I should ever get that far. But the mask first!
Should some guys from Bethesda stumble in here (Hi btw! I love how you guys involve in the community!), please don't sue me! I'm just a humble fan!


Other than that, I contacted Makergear again about an update for my printer. Good news! My printer is in the next batch coming up for assembling and testing before they are going to ship it out. In other words I suspect only 3 more weeks till I've received my printer.
But I said the same three weeks ago, didn't I?

Also, if you have the time, make sure you check out this Siegey who printed Mario in 3D and painted it!
It looks a little rough and the printed layers are visible even after sanding it. I already have plans on printing my favorite game figures as well one day, but I'll be sure I sand it so no layers are visible!

- WJ

5 comments:

  1. Omfg. Awesome :) is there any way you can post your model for anyone else wanting to try it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would it be possible for you to release your model?I'd like to try printing one as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. me three, i've been working on my own model for some time now based on the ingame corvo mask you shared but like you said you kinda have to make your own assumptions of how the interior works and i hate how the original's chin is sloppy compared to yours.

    I just started following lessons with a makerbot 2 replicator and would love your design, since your way better at this than i am (i draw in sketchup :-5 , pm me markpillen@msn.com), at least with your model i'm sure it will be wearable at the end...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have tried printing other masks and they all had low poly counts. i would love to get my hands on that one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont have a 3D Printer, but i was interested in making a mask made of metal and fiberglass for a cosplay. I would be very grateful if you could send me the 3D model to guide me through. Here is my E-mail: contato@thomasesr.com

    ReplyDelete